July 8, 2012
At the beginning of nearly every screenwriting book is a brief resume. An introduction detailing the authors experience that establishes credibility before you even get to chapter one. Many have written screenplays that became movies. Some have won the industry’s highest awards. Others have mentored thousands of writer’s along the way. They are professionals, readers, teachers and producers. They are screenwriters. I know this because I’ve read virtually every screenwriting book I could get my hands on over the years.
Because I want to write good screenplays.
I think it’s important to establish my credentials because I really don’t have any. What gives me the right to write about screenwriting? I don’t have an agent or a produced credit. I’ve never had a script optioned and currently there are no meetings scheduled. So why read? What’s my goal with this blog now that I’ve re-committed to a craft that has inspired me for decades?
I’m just like you. I’m a writer looking for my voice. I’m a storyteller in search of a story. I’m a screenwriter too. If I could narrow it down to a single goal it would be to reach one reader. Someone out there who is blocked, struggling or unmotivated. I’ve been there more often than I’d care to admit. But… This blog is a place to for me to admit it.
- This is a blog for screenwriters who can’t seem find time to write.
- For screenwriters who have made excuses in the past.
- For creative minds who struggle to find an original tale.
- For those with unfinished screenplays on the shelf.
- With unprinted epics on their hard drives.
- This blog is for people who pour their heart and soul into every word.
- I want to learn from you too. Because I know I still need a lot of work.
- I want to be a better writer. A passionate writer.
I’m not an expert when it comes to screenwriting. I just love to write screenplays. So do you. So do millions of people around the world. They are all out there now writing their masterpieces.
What I have to offer is dedication and a passion for movies, screenwriting and independent film.
That’s what this blog is.
The movies that inspire the screenwriter within.