TALE AS OLD AS TIME…
I was 8 when I first saw Beauty and the Beast in theaters. 20 years later, I sat down in a theater again to experience the Disney animated classic in 3D. The verdict? It’s still an amazing movie. That was never really in question. I purchased the blu ray a few months back and it’s amazing how I still remember all the words to the songs.
“Noooooooo ooooooone… Plots like Gaston. Takes cheap shots like Gaston…”
I suppose the majority of people from my generation who grew up with Disney movies understand the nostalgia I felt sitting in the theater as an adult. The real question was the 3D which honestly didn’t add that much to the experience. Still, it was great to see it on the big screen again. Especially since I have virtually no memory of my first viewing.
Yet, I couldn’t help but notice a few things I would have never picked up as a child. I definitely enjoyed the film but you take things a little more seriously as an adult. Indeed there’s something there that wasn’t there before…
BONUS: Is that a Wilhelm scream I heard during the final battle between men and enchanted castle furniture?
10. All the enchanted creatures seemed awfully positive about a girl being held captive in the castle at first. I understand they have high hopes she will break the curse… But constantly trying to cheer her up knowing she is being held against her will? … I suppose it all worked out.
9. At some point when Gaston is plotting to have an innocent man committed you would think someone would say: “You’re kind of an ass Gaston.”
8. For someone who loves books Belle seemed perfectly okay with that sheep tearing off a page.
7. Isn’t Mrs. Potts a little old to have such a young child?
6. When Gaston falls to his death, I couldn’t help but wonder how long he had to fall before exploding on the ground. It was a long way down.
5. When Lumiere and Babette are messing around behind the curtain she says “I’ve been burned by you before.” That’s a very serious accusation to make… Isn’t it?
4. If I was Lefou, I wouldn’t let Gaston punch me in the face and get away with it so many times. And I certainly wouldn’t risk hypothermia for the guy.
3. The whole girl in love with an animal thing… It’s very much like the day I realized that Pepe La Pew was kind of a creep…
2. As far as horses go… Phillipe kind of sucks.
1. I would never get a book on the top shelf in that library.
Check out this old school making of documentary: